The Shed

With fall and winter approaching, I knew I would need more space in the garage. My current wood-working operation was mostly done out in the driveway, where the breeze would handle the dust and sawdust could fly where it pleased.

In order to move into the garage, I would have to move some of our storage out of that space. I decided that I could build a shed on the edge of the driveway to act as storage for our summer items like gardening supplies and our bicycles.

I had never built anything before, so I expected this to be a difficult project. In a strange throwback to Thoreau and Walden, I really wanted to build this shed completely by myself.

I look online at various plans and figured out what I would need to build the structure. I settled on a plan I found at

I set up the floor using 2x6s and 3/4″ plywood and began to put up the 2×4 frames.

Then the rest of the walls came up and header was made for the wide door.

Then the roof rafters were nailed into place. The 18 deg bevels ensured a smooth resting point.

I then painted the plywood walls and put up the back walls.

Then the other walls began to come up. Next, was the white-painted trim.

After the roof was somewhat assembled, the interior still showed some gaps, likely due to some poor measurements on my part. So I decided to add some additional trim pieces to close the gaps.

The roof was sealed tight and all the trim was set. The doorway was looking nice.

Now I just needed to finish the rest of the trim work.

I then put on the roof felting and overlaped the roof tiles. Unfortunately, I ran out of shingles and had to put the rest on hold for a couple days.

Next, I put together the doors. I then realized that the door frames were made with 2×4’s, but the door trim was made with 1×4’s.

So, I added some additional 1×4 scraps to ensure the hinges would align nicely. With a few pieces of hardware, the outside of the shed was finished. I don’t like that the doors are a bit twisted, so the doors don’t close very flush. However, I suppose I could reinforce in the future.

As a final touch, I added a shelf on the left side with all the 2×4 scraps to hold my garden pots and soil. I created custom bike racks to allow the bikes to hang vertically, maximizing the available space. Now there was plenty of room for my bike trailer.

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.