Full of heat, flavor and savory goodness. Can substitute chicken for shrimp, or leave both out. But the andouillle sausage is quite necessary.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 ounces andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp (optional, but good)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, minced garlic, and sausage; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Add rice and the next 7 ingredients (through bay leaf); cook 2 minutes.
Add broth, water, tomato paste, hot pepper sauce, and diced tomatoes; bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
Add shrimp; cook 5 minutes.
Let stand 5 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Stir in parsley.